Have questions? We are always here to help!
Enjoy the Journey
When the journey is as important as the destination, but you don’t want to leave the comforts of ‘home’, you own an RV!
RV ownership has its own distinct blessings, expenses and responsibilities, but when your goal is to enjoy your family and travelling, the one thing you don’t want on any trip is financial hardship or aggravation.
RV insurance has many differences from automobile insurance. Without specific RV insurance, your dream vacation could turn into a nightmare and end up costing way more than you could believe.
RV Insurance Considerations
RV Insurance covers your motorhome or camper like car insurance, but also covers the living area like home insurance does. So it’s like two policies in one.
When parked or while camping, you are protected from fire, theft, liability, etc. just like with home insurance. When moving on the highway, you are covered for accident liability, collision and road emergencies, just like auto insurance.
Insurance for motor homes will carry much greater liability coverage because of the size and weight of your vehicle, and the corresponding damage it could sustain or inflict. It’s not the same as auto insurance in this regard.
As you know, this doesn’t refer to a course you take for safety. Motorhomes are divided into these classes:
- Class A refers to RVs that are really large commercial buses, containing a complete ‘home’ with all the amenities (like the one pictured above). These can range in price from several thousands to over a million dollars in cost. Some properties and camping areas cater only to this upper tier of motorhomes.
- Class B vehicles look more van-like, but with taller ceilings for comfortable standing and walking inside. Their wheelbase is longer and strengthened to provide for the additional space and weight.
- Class C motorhomes are built on truck or van chassis.
Other types of campers or recreational vehicles on wheels include:
- Fifth-wheel trailers – larger camping homes designed to be pulled on the highway and then set up for camping or long-term use (like the one pictured below).
- Toy haulers – vehicles that can contain motorized ‘toys’ such as ATVs (all terrain vehicles), 4-wheelers, snowmobiles or dirt bikes.
- Horse trailers (especially ones with a sleeper area)
- Pop up campers – which can be collapsed for easy storage and transport.
As mentioned, motorized recreational vehicles (Class A, B and C) need the same kind of coverage as your car, including liability, comprehensive, and collision insurance. The cost can be mitigated by only purchasing seasonal coverage, if you only travel a couple of times a year.
Trailer RVs require year-round insurance coverage for damage both on and off the road.
RV Insurance Options
Here are options to consider when purchasing RV insurance:
- Full-time RV lifestyle insurance
- Camper liability — anytime you socialize with guests in your vehicle, you are responsible for what happens inside your vehicle and on the lot or camp site on which it’s parked (just like your house.)
- Additional bodily and property damage liability is recommended, especially with a high tier and large RV.
- 24 hour roadside assistance is peace of mind, and/or a lifesaver if you ever need it!
- Emergency expense money
- Total loss coverage
- RV contents coverage
- Insurance for any ATVs, 4-wheelers, snowmobiles, or dirt bikes you may be towing. This covers those vehicles whether they are in use, or just being towed.
Contact us and let the RV insurance professionals at Harford County, Maryland’s local independent agency help you protect your investment, and your fun on your next adventure!
"Amanda was very friendly and helpful during a big step in our lives (buying our first rental property). She gave great advice and created a plan to cover all of our insurance needs, even when a few obstacles arose. All of our questions were answered promptly throughout the process, and my husband and I truly appreciate her service!"
—Linda Chern Zvitkovitz
"Amanda has been beyond amazing! She helped me with home insurance last year, and helped again when I had to use the insurance just a few months after settlement! I have now switched my car insurance to Nationwide! I would recommend anyone to this office knowing they would get the absolute best customer service! Thank you, Amanda, for all you have done!"
"AWonderful customer support at all times. Always ready to help at any time. Courteous, professional, knowledgeable. Immediate and supportive response when claims made."
—Meg Bates Jones
"Amanda was simply amazing! We had a horrible experience with Allstate and she helped make the transition super smooth to Nationwide! Allstate messed up our cancellation date and Amanda handled everything, we didn’t even have to send her any paperwork, it’s nice to know you’re being taken care of especially when it comes to insurance!"
—Meg Bates Jones
—Grace M. Manger